Join us in Tír na nÓg (say: tear na noog) or the "Land of the Young" at Kansas City Irish Fest for a magical day of activities and fun for all ages!
Do you believe in magic?
Tír na nÓg is a magical place! Our KCIF Kids' Club does and they want to share that magic with you!
Here are a few of the FREE fun things you can do when visiting Tír na nÓg:
- KCIF Bingo – Win Moola …
- Wackalaylees – the Irish Fest traditional piñata
- Play Areas – everything for the wee ones from moonwalks for all ages of kids to a rockwall for the tweens and teens to a bungee jump and giant yard games
- Children’s Stage with lots of Storytelling, Music and Dancing
- Fairy House
- Flying Cows
- Temporary Tattoos
- Potato Sack Races
- Bubble Tent
For just a wee bit extra moola try Glitter Tattoos, Face Painting and Henna (also awesome for the teens and adults)
Learn About Magical Ireland
We are celebrating Selkies, Ainé, Brigid, and Tuatha dé Danan.
- Selkies are said to live as seals in the sea but shed their skin to become human on land. Have you seen one?
- Ainé (say: Awn Ya) Her name means “brightness, glow, joy, radiance, splendor, glory, fame” and she is associated with the abundance of summer.
- Brigid is known as the goddess a lot of things - healers, poets, smiths, fire, hearth, childbirth, and inspiration. How will she inspire you?
- Tuatha dé Danan are members of an ancient race who came to Ireland for instruction in magic. They brought 4 magical gifts to Ireland. Learn at Irish Fest about those gifts.
- Build a Magical Fairy House for our Fairy Village
- The house must be made of natural materials found outdoors, anything from twigs to seashells
- Decorations for your house may be ‘unnatural’ and things you purchase. The houses should be “magical” this year.
- Bring your house and two 3 x 5 cards
- one with your house’s name, your first name and age
- one with your full name and contact information, along with your house’s name (Parents, personal Info won’t be displayed).
- Prizes will be sent after Irish Fest is over by mail.
- Houses may be picked up after 4 PM, Sunday, Sept 2, 2018.
- Costume Contest
- Saturday and Sunday on the Children's Stage (check the schedule for times)
- Theme: Magic in Nature. Will you dress like a magical Irish creature? A Irish hero, god or goddess? What does Magic in Nature mean to you?
- Age groups
- 2 - 4 years old
- 5 - 7 years old
- 8 -12 years old
- Wee Ones Scavenger Hunt
- Ages 10 and under
- Get your passport stamped at all the stops
- Check back in with your full-stamped passport and you win a prize!
Special Project: Tír na nÓg Tree of Blessings
- At the Festival - Our Festival Tree of Blessings will be brought to life by the shamrock leaves you add to the tree. Everyone will add their shamrock to the tree on the wall of the Children’s Area. At the end of each day, we will take the shamrock leaves down and we will publish our blessings.
- At Home - Each child who visits Tír na nÓg can get supplies to make their own at-home Tree of Wishes
- Your Tree of Wishes reminds you to never stop wishing and hoping for the small and big things in life.
- Wishes are the secret desires of your heart. They can be big or small, but each wish is powerful.
- Sometimes a wish is for ourselves, and sometimes are wishes are for others, but each is special because it comes from our heart.
- After you make your tree, take it home and put it on your bedroom door. Look at it every day.
- Each wish brings amazing hope, strength and joy for you as you grow and focus on your wishes, dreams and goals.